externals with MacOS

Scott Raney raney at metacard.com
Fri Jul 5 18:10:00 EDT 2002

On Fri, 5 Jul 2002 Brian Kelly <briank at bkms.com> wrote:

> Turns out the latest CodeWarrior has some problems with merging into
> an existing file which really didn't help.

Ah, forgot about that one.  One of many reasons why we're going to
start supplying Project Builder templates for the externals in the
future ;-)

> >The CODE resource needs to be placed *in the stack file*, not in a
> >separate file.  Note that this is only true for MacOS: all other
> >platforms (including the Mach-O OS X engine) the external is stored as
> >a separate file which is found using the "externals" property of the
> stack.
>
> I'm a bit confused here. I built the external separately and put it
> into the stack using Resorcerer and all seems to be well in both Mac
> OS 9.2.2 and Mac OS X (10.1.5). Should I be doing something different
> for OS X? Or are there a separate engines for Mach-O and carbon?
>
> According to the Transcript dictionary the externals property is not
> available in OS 9 or X.

This is true for the current version of RR, and is because the Carbon
engine is CFM format, not Mach-O, for that release.  This will change
in the next release, though: the Carbon engine will be the OS X native
Mach-O format, and you'll have to build separate externals for the
PPC/CFM and the Carbon/Mach-O platforms.  The PPC engine will still
use a CODE resource but the Carbon engine will use a Bundle (dynamic
library) which will be loaded via the externals property as is done on
Win32 and the other UNIX systems.
  Regards,
    Scott