Standalones from Old HyperCard Stack

Dan Shafer pydan at danshafer.com
Fri Jul 5 15:27:01 EDT 2002

At 03:10 AM 7/5/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Hey Dan,
>
>Cut my teeth on a bunch of your books, nice to see you're trying out RunRev
>/ MC. I spent a few years with SC but left it all behind when I switched to
>PC's. Jerry Daniels turned me onto RR 7 or 8 months ago -- and it all came
>back. RR/MC is so much better than SC/HC with many more features, compiled
>executables and much, much more.

Thanks for remembering me!

RR looks very interesting. I've poked at it a few times over the last few
months but it never seems quite "finished" if you know what I mean. Today,
in working on a very simple stack, I ran into:

*numerous execution errors that are clearly pointing to built-in RR scripts
I didn't write
* mysterious and sudden relocation of the window I am working on as I
switch out of RR and back
* on two occasions, the button to return to RR after suspending its UI
became empty and non-responsive and I could not for the life of me figure
out how to get back. Even quitting the app didn't work. I had to quit RR.
* mysterious case where a card/stack suddenly had multiple groups (maybe a
user error, but there was no way I could see that would remove the unwanted
groups; everything I tried seemed to work but the groups never went away)
* an inability to get create card to make a card with a group on it.
(Finally sent a note on this one to the list a bit ago).

It does seem to be stabilizing some, but, boy, it feels like there are a
lot of rough edges here. Is this just me? I'm running on OS X, by the way;
I have it installed in Win2K and haven't tried building anything there at
all since Mac is my native environment. But maybe these are OS X issues and
I'd be better off building on Win2K. (I refuse to back to Mac Classic; I'd
switch to WIn2K first!)

Anyway, it will be nice when the differences between HC and RR become more
second nature to me than they are now. I've read the "About Revolution for
HyperCard Developers" three times but every time I think I got it,
something else crops up.