Standalones from Old HyperCard Stack

Dan Shafer pydan at danshafer.com
Fri Jul 5 02:43:01 EDT 2002

I have a simple HyperCard stack I wrote about 300 years ago. My wife wants
to set up her new boss to use it but she's on Windows, so I break out
Revolution.

The initial conversion *appeared* to go extremely well. But I've
encountered some issues and the docs on distribution building that I can
locate are pretty sparse and not very informative.

Two problems I've encountered so far.

There are several navigation buttons on the background. When I run the
stack in Rev after importing it, these buttons appear and work as expected.
But when I create a distribution, the buttons are not visible. Clicking
where they are *supposed* to be executes their scripts so I figure either I
have a resource issue or a layering problem.

I go back to Revolution and I move all of these buttons to the front. After
each such move, i get the following execution error in Revolution:

* There was an Execution Error at 12:21:07 AM
Error description: repeat: error in statement
Revolution User Interface Error: Object: button id 1140 of group id 1136 of
card id 1002 of stack "/Diskourse/Applications/Revolution 1.1 OS
X/components/tools/revmenubar.rev"
--------------------
switch pWhich
--------------------
Value: top

The move seems to have worked, however, because when I build a new
distribution, I can see the buttons (which are all icons) and they seem to
function.

So that *seems* to be a cosmetic or bogus bug but someone should look into it.

The real problem I'm dealing with now is that when I add cards to the stack
in the standalone, the changes don't stick. The new cards appear fine until
I exit the app. On restart, only the original cards are still there. if I
suspend the Rev UI in developer mode and run the stack, I can add cards and
they stick. They even appear in the standalone executable. But any cards I
add don't work.

Where can I look for help on this issue? Cany anyone shed light here?

This is tantalizingly close to enabling me to do a bunch of fairly powerful
stuff I've built in the halcyon days of HyperCard and perhaps make it
successful at last. But I'm clearly missing something!

Dan Shafer, Chief Scribe and Tablet Keeper
PythonCard Open Source Project
http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net