Persistent data?

Gary Robinson grobinson at transpose.com
Thu Jan 31 12:07:18 EST 2002

Hi, thanks for the response...

> If your database needs are simple enough, you can use a stack as a
> flat-file database (where each card is a record), using the find, sort, and
> mark commands to handle selection, searching, and sorting tasks.

I have a recollection that that was hard to do with early Hypercard, because
such a stack would have its top record visible to the user. You seem to be
implying that that is not the case in Revolution, that you can have a stack
that is just used as a database and is not part of the UI?

Does the find facility involve any kind of an index, or does it actually
have to check every card in the stack to see if it meets criteria?

> You can
> also store data in external files and pull their information in as needed,
> and store media such as images in external files that can be referenced
> from within a stack.

But is there an easy way to store such data in a file that allows keyed
access, such as Python's shelf library allows?

--Gary

--
Gary Robinson
President