Copying parts of pictures to the front.

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Tue Jan 29 20:03:01 EST 2002

Hello RR list,

I'm almost finished working on a app written for HC, which I have conceived
in a semi-shell format, so I can hopefully transfer it more easily into RR.

I have made several full screen background picts which contain the graphics
for button animation, in this case, lots of 'up' and 'down' state buttons
(actually there are different 'styles', i.e., different picts). The 'real'
buttons, which call multiple handlers, are all transparent.

In HC, I'm using Uli's xDraw XCMD suite. The pict with the 'Up' state
buttons is onscreen (actually placed there with the addColor XCMD command
and transition at openStack). The pict with the 'down' buttons is in an
offscreen (it actually exists only in memory until called) gWorld (a
companion to xDraw). At mouseDown, the handler that activates the graphic
instantly copies the part of the pict ('down' button') which matches the
button rect to the screen, temporarily covering that part of the 'up' button
pict, holds it there until mouseUp when it disappears.

Is anyone getting this, so far?

I want to have the same effect in RR, using the same picts. I suppose I
could copy all the buttons out of the picts separately, but that would take
more time than I want to spend, considering the background picts are already
made.

I'm not sure how to do this with RR, but it shouldn't be difficult with
native color, should it?

Best regards,
Ken N.