Filetype creator & type

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Thu Jan 24 03:29:01 EST 2002

At 6:32 PM -0500 1/23/02, Tim wrote:
>I'm trying to change the file's creator & type by using the "filetype"
>property, but I've noticed that it can do so ONLY when you create a file
>with Open File command. As a workaround is it possible to get the contents
>of a given file, delete the file, create a new file with Open File command,
>change its creator & file type, and finally put the contents back in? I know
>I could do this with a simple text file, but what about other file types?
>BTW I'm doing this on OS X.

You could do this with an AppleScript. I would post exact syntax, but I started to do that about five hours ago, and testing the script in Script Editor was the last thing I did before my hard drive decided to die...

I've now revived it (I think) and although I'm sure Script Editor wasn't the source of the problem, I think it will be at least a day or two before I try it out again. :-)

The script would be something like this:

tell application "Finder"
set the filetype of file tSomePath to "TEXT"
set the creatortype of file tSomePath to "R*ch"
end tell

regards,

Geoff