replacetext

Mike McManus mcmanusm at kramergraphics.com
Wed Jan 23 13:27:01 EST 2002

On Sunday, January 20, 2002, at 03:10 AM, David Vaughan wrote:

> Yes. Put "Function" or "Command" in large print just after the command
> or function title in the Transcript entry......oh, you've already done
> this.
>
> So, some people aren't reading it and are then complaining. Do they
> also expect instructions on a milk carton saying "Do not invert after
> opening"?
>
> I feel as entitled as anyone to ask simple questions when I'm, learning
> the product but if someone has actually read to the Transcript example
> then I consider it reasonable to assume they have first read the title
> and either understand the distinction between Command and Function or
> will ask about it without blaming the documentation.
>
> regards
> David

Since I originally posted the question. I am pretty sure I didn't
complain on the point of documentation. I have found in very valuable. I
admit to having a weakness on the functions and always miss the required
command witch I first write them. Which I did in this case.  I do think
showing at least a truncated part of the full use would be useful
though..I think it is mentioned in the next post on this subject.
Functions do get rather complicated sometimes and good documentation is
important. Sometimes I think I would like to just be able to copy the
example from the dictionary to be sure I have the proper syntax for
those seldom used commands and functions.

My problem turns out to have been(in addition the the lack of a get or
put) The proper constuction of the regular expression.

Sorry too set off a documentation firestorm.