messages to buttons when the mouse is already down

David Vaughan drvaughan55 at mac.com
Tue Jan 22 06:35:01 EST 2002

On Tuesday, January 22, 2002, at 09:34 , Ken Norris (dialup) wrote:

> Another non-idle-handler solution might be to speed up the
> mouseMove/button
> rect search by initializing a string with item-delimited chunks to hold
> all
> the button rects and, say, their ID numbers. I think a well written
> script
> could chew up a string that is in memory and spit out a match faster
> than
> searching the buttons themselves.
My own mouseEnter/Leave solution fails for the same reason as Ken's
original script - the message isn't sent when the mouse is down.
Michael, does the mouse have to be down?
Otherwise, mouseLoc is still sent and "Repeat for each line buttonRects
of buttonList" etc may be fast enough. Of course, once you have
identified the first button entered, it is simply a matter of watching
to see when the user leaves that particular rect before making another
search for the new button rect (and there are only max nine of them if
you want to push the refinement).

Michael, we have not heard from you since your first enquiry. Are we
solving your problem? Do you have enough material now?

regards
David