Testing under Unix, installing under Windows

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Fri Jan 18 08:52:00 EST 2002

on 18/1/02 12:37 PM, Richard D. Miller at wow at together.net wrote:

> Is there a reliable way to test a Rev project on a Mac in a simulated Unix
> environment? I use virtual PC and that seems to do a good job of emulating
> the Windows environment. Is there something similar for Unix on Max OSX?

Dunno about MacOSX specifically, but Virtual PC comes or used to come with
Linux as an option (and of course you can in principle run eg MkLinux on PPC
Macs).

> Is it possible to create something in Rev that will start up automatically
> under Windows?

Yes - autoplay is very straightforward on Windows (sadly another thing Apple
screwed up on).  Search for "autoplay" in google and you'll get details -
basically you just create a simple text file at the top level of the CD
which can set things like the icon and label of the CD, and what app if any
to launch when the CD is inserted/autoplayed.

  Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
  Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
  http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866