Testing under Unix, installing under Windows

Richard D. Miller wow at together.net
Fri Jan 18 07:40:01 EST 2002

Is there a reliable way to test a Rev project on a Mac in a simulated Unix
environment? I use virtual PC and that seems to do a good job of emulating
the Windows environment. Is there something similar for Unix on Max OSX?

Secondly...since I don't work much under Windows, I'm not familiar with CD
expectations there. Is it essentially required that upon insertion of a new
CD in Windows, installation starts up automatically...or is it still
acceptable to have the user start up a "startup" file manually? Is it
possible to create something in Rev that will start up automatically under
Windows?

I'm thinking that an easy way to install a small "editable" portion of my
program under Windows and have it know where the CD drive is located would
be to have Rev control this process. The CD goes in...a Rev installer
program is started (either manually or by some simple Windows installer
program)...the Rev program copies certain (small) stacks from the CD to the
users hard drive (using the PUT URL INTO command) ...it sets the drive
letter in the editable stacks now on the users drive (since it can determine
the drive letter of the CD through its path name). Sounds easy. Seems to
make sense. Does it make sense? Will this work the same under Unix? I'm not
worried about this issue on a Mac.

Thanks.

--
Richard Miller