Network Access Problem

Peter Reid preid at reidit.co.uk
Sun Jan 13 19:08:01 EST 2002

Using Rev 1.0.1 I've developed a dual Mac/PC CD-ROM product that
launches Acrobat to display a range of Acrobat files and the
QuickTime Player for a series of QT movies.  This works fine with
both Mac and Windows systems when run locally.  However, if I mount
the CD-ROM on one system and make it a shared resource, things go
wrong with access across the network.

If I try activating my code to launch and display Acrobat files or
QuickTime Player and QT files, nothing happens if the CD-ROM is being
accessed over the network (even if the files are small).  However, if
I simply open a window to display the actual Acrobat and QuickTime
files and then double-click them open it works fine!

The network is reasonably fast (10/100 Ethernet) and whilst some
files are very large (100Mb QT movies), others are very modest
(175k-6.5Mb Acrobat files, plus 4.5Mb-30Mb QT files).  It seems to be
a problem with both the Rev Player object (for QT movies) and the
ext_openFile command from the original Externals Collection.

Any ideas about how I can get this to work over the network as well
as locally or is this a bug in Rev?

Cheers

Peter
--
Peter Reid
Reid-IT Limited, Loughborough, Leics., UK
E-mail: preid at reidit.co.uk
Web: http://www.reidit.co.uk