Mouse polling answers for Scott

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Thu Feb 28 16:53:01 EST 2002

At 12:05 PM -0700 2/27/02, Scott Raney wrote:
>Can someone please verify this?  We've had two anecdotal reports that
>SC does *not* work this way.  Running Geoff's example script will
>clear up the issue once and for all I think.

I tested SuperCard 3.5.1 with the following script:

on mouseUp
  repeat with i = 1000 down to 1
    put i
  end repeat
  put the mouse
end mouseUp

If you click the button, the numbers run by, and the message box ends up with "up" -- so far so good.

If you click the button, then do a half-click -- press and hold the mouse button -- the numbers run by, and the message box ends up with "down" -- this is also expected, and matches HC and Rev/MC.

If you click twice, you get two possible behaviors, both of which differ from HC/MC/Rev.

  -- If the second click is outside the button, then the appropriate word is displayed at the end of the countdown -- down if the mouse button is depressed, up if it is not. You can click as many times as you like outside the button, only the actual state of the button at the end of the countdown is reflected.

  -- If the second click (while the counter is running) is on the button, the button does a second mouseUp when it finishes the first. The word "down" or "up" correctly flashes by as SuperCard goes back to counting down from 1000. In fact, you seem to be able to queue as many mouseUps as you like -- click on the button five times quickly, and the counter will then proceed through five countdowns. At the end of each countdown, the current state of the mouse, either up or down, will flash by.

regards,

Geoff