Mouse polling

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Thu Feb 28 01:16:01 EST 2002

on 2/27/02 11:40 AM, Scott Raney at raney at metacard.com wrote:

> They're a lousy pair of pliers,
> a totally unacceptable replacement for an adjustable wrench (which is
> itself merely a poor substitute for having a proper socket set), and
> make a pretty clumsy clamp.
----------
Well, you know, vise grips aren't designed to do any of the above. Their for
clamping things together _temporarily_ so you can have both hands free to
work on it, or to hold things you're bending when you simply can't maintain
the strength needed long enough (you need the tension adjustment here). If
you ever do any welding or soldering (not electrical), you wouldn't want to
be without them. You'll see more varieties of vise grips in a metal working
shop than you ever imagined existed. They sink heat really well, too.

But, to use the metaphor, if you're using 'the mouse' where more reliable
mouse commands will work, then I think I agree you're indeed using the wrong
tool. But if you need it to hold stuff together while you cross-check for
other actions, then, perhaps it's viable.

Like what's already been said, what I think should happen is: show a 'the
mouse is--" script in a situation where the writer couldn't make 'mousexx'
work right, and a 'mousexx' script that does do exactly the same thing, in a
heavily commented side-by-side comparison.

Best regards,
Ken N.