A helping Hand with Graphics speed and masks

Matt Denton matt.denton at limelight.com.au
Tue Feb 26 07:43:01 EST 2002

Hi there speed fiends,

I'm building a cute little app that displays a series off five animated
objects, based on a series of timed events, animating usually only one
object at a time.  I'm having a lot of trouble getting the 'speed' up
and keeping timing consistent across platforms/machines.  I know some
clever cookies on this list have worked out or found ways to speed up --
sometimes many many multiples of speed increase, such as pencil tool
instead of line tool for turtle graphics -- all sorts of graphics and
text handling.  I'm hoping someone can help...

The problem is I have 10 objects, each with masks attached.  Originally
I fudged the masks, and tried animated GIFs with but that blew out my
project size as I had to 'render off' about 200 animations, ie no
masks.  Surprisingly the animated GIFs didn't seem to perform very well
anyway...??? Not sure why.  I have small objects but I want to get
around 20-25 frames per second, if possible.  The GIFs, even just on
their own, seemed to run sluggishly... weird.

BTW, I'm on a 500Mhz Powerbook G4 so you'd expect the GIFs to be OK.
Also I'm running OSX, however I have stepped back to 9.2.2 to see if it
was some Quartz/Carbon conversion bottleneck.   Eventually I hope to get
reasonable animation out of an old 7100 and PII 350 for 'low end
performance tests'... haven't even copied the project to these yet!

Next I tried using 32bit PNGs and used the 'move command' to animate
each object (just moves in this case) but the masks seemed to slow
things down to what appeared to be 6-10 fps.   So I have 10 objects,
with only three ever overlapping, each with masks but they run like
molten lava.  I guess PNGs are best 'static'.  I noted on the list that
Mac masking is slow, but not this slow?  We are talking smallish objects.

  I'm trying to work out the FASTEST way to display graphics across both
platforms.  I'm trying to avoid QuickTime as I truly want to keep away
from potential additional installs... this is only a small tool I'm
writing.  Next step -- which I don't really want to take -- is wired
sprites and masks in QuickTime.

I've had great joy in programming the back-end code that maintains the
data, sends messages etc. but had a very frustrating time dealing with
graphics, or at least 'fast moving' graphics.  Love Revolution for the
power under the hood, if I could only work out how to get some Fast
Blast Pixel Blittering Singing Graphics...

Any tips or comments would be appreciated.  There must be some clues
somewhere...

Many thanks!

M@
Matt Denton