Speed

Jim Hurley jphurley at jps.net
Sat Feb 23 08:51:01 EST 2002

Scott Rossi wrote:

>Since I'm fairly entrenched in graphics work, this post caught my eye.
>One thing you need to keep in mind with MC/REV is that usually, not
>always, but usually there are similar ways to achieve what you've done
>before using alternate methods.  For example, I ran the above script and
>timed a rough average of 111 ticks.  Then instead of choosing the line
>tool, I chose the pencil tool, and drawing time was reduced to 37
>ticks.

Scott,

Thank you sooooo much! This choice of the pencil is a real find--for
me. It not only make turtle graphics viable on MC and RR but it is
even faster than HC. This difference between the line tool and the
pencil tool is, I think, undocumented in RR or MC.

  The pencil tool in MC is not the same as the pencil tool in HC. (The
above script draws an altogether different figure in HC.) In HC the
pencil tool draws black if the initial screen point is white and
white if the initial screen point is black--it acts like the "fat
bits tool." Fortunately, in MC it always draw whatever the pen color
is; the color of the starting point is irrelevant. However, unlike
the line tool, it is not possible to vary the pen width--a small
price to pay for the increase in speed. Furthermore, unlike the line
tool, the drawing  speed is apparently unaffected by the card
dimensions. Drawing with the line  tool becomes increasing  slow as
the card dimensions increase.

>Adding a "lock screen" reduced the overall time to 9 ticks --
>virtually immediate.

In most of my applications in education, it is important for the
student to see the path evolving in time and so locking  the screen
is not an option.

I hope the other Scott will help us to understand the difference
between the  pencil and line tools and why the pencil tool is soooo
much faster.

Jim Hurley