Unique Macintosh Identification

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Fri Feb 22 11:22:01 EST 2002

>Thanks, Roger. Unfortunately it means I'd need to launch another app and
>then make it quit just to get the serial number. Perhaps there's a gestalt
>reference out there? Then I could use a gestalt XCMD or equivalent...

Hi Ken,

I asked the List for a gestalt reference when I posted the AppleScript; but
no one responded.  For $200 (last I checked) Apple tech support will
address a limited number of technical questions (4?); but I didn't want the
info bad enough to shell out the $$.

For completeness, here is the final AppleScript:

on getSerial()
	tell application "Apple System Profiler"
		run
		copy SerialNumber to myNumber
		close window 1
	end tell
	return myNumber
end getSerial

I'm only checking the serial # once on preOpen; so the delay to launch
AppleScript doesn't come into play once the user is in the stack.

BTW, if you do find a gestalt reference:

1.  I'd like to know what it is.

2.  You'll need different externals for OS<10 & OSX whereas one AppleScript
works on both Mac platforms.

PS: I told myself twice to ignore this, but I cant help comment:

>> I may have to write one extremely
>> simple and 100% reliable piece of C code to test the state of the mouse
>> button for my code and compile it as an external, I think I'll call it
>> "themouse"!  After all, in the world of C it's quite straight forward, one
>> line I expect.

Do you not count variable declaration, external "glue", parameter
references when counting lines of C code.  From my (dated & limited)
experience, one can't write anything useful in C in lass than half a page.
:{~)

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company