Deprecated mouse functions

David Vaughan drvaughan55 at mac.com
Thu Feb 21 16:56:00 EST 2002

Scott Raney wrote:

Yes.  The full list of functions to avoid because they are deprecated is:
the mouse
the mouseClick
the mouseH
the mouseV
the mouseLoc
the optionKey
the commandKey
the controlKey
<snip>
... as of engine version 2.4.2, the last three are also now done
asynchronously and so won't be a problem anymore.  And they've always
been safe to use a single time in a "mouseDown" or "mouseUp" handler.
It's getting them in a repeat loop that will potentially cause problems.

and Sivakatirswami wrote:

For the untutored, an addition to documentation with the "not so long
list
of deprecated" commands with the corresponding "right way to do it."
would
be a wonderful addition.

It is good to receive Scott's list which I have not seen published
before, even including the newly un-deprecated (precated? apprecated?)
key functions, but I also strongly support Siva's view. I think it an
important part of the documentation that deprecated functions be
mentioned as such in the Transcript Dictionary, and a reference given to
possible alternatives. At present, the "See also" in the Dictionary
entry for the deprecated mouseLoc makes no reference at all to the
preferred mouseMove, nor does that for mouseH refer to mousemoveH, so
how is anyone not already familiar with the language supposed to find
the preferred functions, especially if they come from xTalk and are
already comfortable with the wrong ways?

regards
David