Answer file of type "APPL" under OS X

Ian Summerfield iansummerfield at btconnect.com
Thu Feb 14 12:18:28 EST 2002

I'm trying to write a keep it up type utility and want to be able to choose
which application(s) to monitor.  If I use answer file "" of type "APPL"
everything is fine under OS 9, but under OS X the native applications can't
be selected, e.g. Try choose the "clock" that's standard in "applications".

I've found I can use the somewhat buggy and most un-mac-like built in file
selector by setting the systemfileselector to false but it's still weird the
way you get to the clock program.

on mouseUp

  --set the systemfileselector to false

  --uncomment the above line to try rev's hideous interface

  answer file "" of type "APPL"

end mouseUp

So how can I throw up a dialog that truly lists all applications?