Repeats and mouse events

Scott Raney raney at metacard.com
Wed Feb 13 13:02:01 EST 2002

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 Ian Summerfield <iansummerfield at btconnect.com> wrote:

> On my machine, PowerMac G3 450Mhz, running Revolution 1.1.1b1 under OS X, it
> doesn't work,  I changed your "wait until the mouse is up" statement to a
> loop:
>
> Repeat until the optionkey is down
>   put the mouse
> End repeat

Just my 2 cents on this issue:

IF YOU'RE USING THE MOUSE FUNCTION FOR NEW DEVELOPMENT, YOU'RE DOING
THE WRONG THING!!!

Apologies for the shouting and for sounding like a broken record on
this issue, but I can't emphasize enough that this is piss poor
technique and will bring you nothing but grief in the long run.  If it
were up to me "the mouse" function would be removed from the language
entirely in the next release.  Even Apple now *specifically*
recommends against this type of function on OS X and we're in
violation of their developer recommendations for even supporting it on
that platform.  It's always been frowned on on the other platforms.
Instead of this hack, do what real developers do and use the
mouseDown/mouseUp/mouseMove/mouseRelease messages instead.
  Regards,
    Scott

PS to Jeanne: if the RR doc for the mouse function doesn't provide
this information, please fix it.