Revolution much slower then Hypercard

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Mon Feb 11 15:20:01 EST 2002

on 2/11/02 12:32 AM, Geoff Canyon at gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com wrote:

> Here's the array script. Using the Filter command method might or might not be
> applicable here -- I'd need to know more of the specifics of the problem.
----------
Yes, of course, that makes sense. Thanks for the array script. Anyone who
has large numbers of things to do at once should pay attention. Rev arrays
are similar to HC arrays, so if anyone is interested:

Visit this URL...
<http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/>
...and search for "Arraymaster".

Note: the use of associative arrays might speed up some of these when
writing.
----------
> By the way, with Revolution it's often fairly easy to create a performance
> difference of twenty or thirty times, sometimes even a hundred times, just by
> changing the way you write your code. If a handler is slow, be sure to look
> for ways to speed it up, because generally there will be a way.
My experience in HC has shown me that. I've gotten into the habit of trying
to find the most efficient ways of doing things, but sometimes the time
input gets costly, so I'm in the process of putting these into script
modules available as tasks assignable from menus. Maybe your script or some
modification, will end up there. As I come up with these, I'll try to post
them when they're thoroughly tested.

Thanks, best regards,
Ken N.