Irregular Shaped Windows and Transparency

Matt Denton matt.denton at limelight.com.au
Wed Feb 6 05:19:00 EST 2002

Hi ya all,

I'm trying to find out if there is a relatively easy way to simulate or
create irregularly shaped windows with transparency, similar to Audion
on the Mac.  I'm hoping there is a way to do it across most common
platforms: Mac OS9, PC and again under OSX, I haven't seen it under
Windows.

My question is this: is there a new WDEF window resource that allows
images or PICTs to be the mask for a window?  Is this also implemented
in Windows?  Would it require a simple create in a Resource editor
(ResEdit etc) or is the entire process more complicated?  Could I fudge
it with QTime?  Would it require an XCMD/XFCN to work?

I searched the archives and found a small discussion on this topic,
thanks Geoff and Scott.  I followed through Google and other sources but
didn't really turn up any solid info.  Seems as if QTime 5 can handle
this (thanks Geoff for http://www.movtv.com/ reference).   After 4-5
hours of searching I'm hoping someone can point me in the right
direction.

Unfortunately I have little System calls OS experience in either Mac or
PC but I'm willing to hunt down info if someone  could help point me in
the right direction...

Many thanks!

M at tt Denton