Using a graphic instead of the standard window shape

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Mon Feb 4 15:07:01 EST 2002

On Monday, February 4, 2002, at 07:48  AM, Roger.E.Eller at sealedair.com
wrote:

> I wonder...  is it possible to use a Rev command to do a snapshot of the
> desktop, but only the area that is behind the Rev application using its
> rect coordinates?  Then... import that cropped image into the
> applications
> background, making the app appear to be invisible. Hmmm... Can a script
> do
> this magic?

Sure, this has been before.  However, two problems have come into play
with Mac OSX in that:
1) all windows cast live shadows on the desktop, making hidden
application windows pretty much impossible; and
2) the live dragging of windows requires that you must A) capture the
entire desktop at startup to use a backdrop for your window in case it
is dragged, and B) quickly update the position of captured image as you
drag the window around the desktop.  The result is somewhat believable
but pretty jerky.

What is really needed here is a flexible WDEF system that works with
OSX.  I've done some testing with Odo (a custom WDEF for Mac systems)
which seems to indicate that it no longer works under OSX, which is not
surprising given it was written almost 8 years ago.  But this type of
control is something Mac developers will need to create any custom
window shapes.  Anyone out there OSX savvy enough to write this?

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director, Tactile Media
scott at tactilemedia.com