Pocket PC

Kevin Miller kevin at runrev.com
Sun Feb 3 19:36:15 EST 2002

On 3/2/02 6:37 pm, Lorin Rivers <lrivers at realsoftware.com> wrote:

>>>  REALbasic DOES make native applications, compiled and everything.
>>
>> for unixes? I doubt so...
>
> Right, missed that part.
>
>> also I heard horrible stories about realBasic applications under Win.
>
> People hear all sorts of things that aren't accurate. You should
> judge for yourself.

Lets say for the sake of the argument that the stories going around aren't
true (and I have my doubts given the number of them I have heard).

The fact is that REALBasic cannot edit or debug a Windows application on
Windows.  To develop a Windows application, you must build it on the Mac, go
over to Windows, test it, then come back to the Mac to make changes.  Even
*if* the RB system works absolutely perfectly, there are going to be at the
very least some platform specific tweaks that need to be made.  So in the
very best case, this still results in a big reduction in productivity
(again, still assuming that Windows compilation does work smoothly in
REALBasic - you can imagine it is worse if it doesn't).

There is an article on our web site that looks at the differences between
Rev and REALBasic - if you don't have time to read it all you can check out
the summary towards the end.  This shows amongst other things the number of
hours needed to develop a simple sample app in Rev or RB.

Kevin

Kevin Miller <kevin at runrev.com> <http://www.runrev.com/>
Runtime Revolution Limited - Power to the Developer!
Tel: +44 (0) 870 747 1165.  Fax: +44 (0)1639 830 707.