How to get my own IP

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Dec 31 12:16:01 EST 2002

On Tuesday, December 31, 2002, at 09:14 AM, Bill Vlahos wrote:

> I don't think it is possible for any application to know what it's
> NAT'd address is as that is done completely external to the computer
> itself on the router/firewall.

There may be some way way using SNMP, but even then there will be
permission problems and it will be lots of work.

> Check out the chat software example that Tuviah made in the Rev user
> contributions area.

This is good advice.

     Most computers behind a firewall can make http connections to the
Internet.
     (This is a TCP connection to a particular port
     and if a proxy is used, it must have a particular protocol.)

     A subset of those can make any TCP connection to the Internet.

     A much smaller number can accept Internet TCP connections.

If there are many computers involved in your idea, try to limit almost
all Internet connections to one of the first two.

In the chat example, there is _one_ server and many clients.  If your
idea must work across the Internet among computers behind firewalls,
then try to bend it around that notion.

Dar Scott