How to get my own IP

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at mac.com
Tue Dec 31 11:19:00 EST 2002

I don't think it is possible for any application to know what it's
NAT'd address is as that is done completely external to the computer
itself on the router/firewall.

The only way to get this is to use some sort of external reference. It
is very simple to write a cgi to respond back with the information. If
you build it and host it yourself then you would always have a
guarantee of service and consistent format. I remember seeing a very
simple AppleScript CGI awhile back which does just this but it would
also be simple to write a Rev server app to do it.

There are services such as dyndns.org which provide dynamic DNS service
and software which can provide what you want but it would be too much
work to have end users set it up. It would be simpler for you to do it
yourself. Even 500 users would not be very taxing for a web server
simply returning the IP address.

Check out the chat software example that Tuviah made in the Rev user
contributions area.

Bill Vlahos