Standalone Data folder

Robert Presender rpresender at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 30 20:06:11 EST 2002

On Monday, December 30, 2002, at 09:01  AM, Rick Harrison wrote:

> on 12/30/2002 8:51 AM, Robert Presender at rpresender at earthlink.net
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Using OS 10.2.3
>>
>> Is there a way to make the Data folder(and all its components)
>> invisible and only have the app as a result of making a standalone for
>> Mac and Windows?  Using the procedure of Tip 1 of RR site.
>>
>> Is there a reason that the Data folder(and components therein) be
>> visible?
>>
>> Thanks for any insight.
>>
>> Regards .. Bob
>
> Bob,
>
> I'm not sure as to whether or not it matters if the Data folder is
> invisible or not.

Does the above imply that clicking on the data folder doesn't open the
components folder and ability to click on the substacks therein? In my
standalones,  I can get down to the substacks in the data folder and
enter data but no further action takes place.
Am I creating standalones incorrectly?

> There is an option that you can use when creating a standalone which
> is to check the box for no substacks which eliminates the data folder.
> You'll only want to do this if you don't have any substacks of course.

I need the substacks to save data the user enters in the appl.

> To make a file invisible for Mac OS X just put a period in front
> of the name.

Thanks for the tip.

>  You might like to use a utility like "GhostHunter" to be able to find
> your file again.  Or just boot under Mac OS 9.2.2 and look for the file
> name with the period.
>
> In windows there is a way to do it too, but at this moment I don't
> remember
> quite how to do it.  If you search the archives you'll probably come
> across
> it.  It is a fairly common question.

Have been searching the archives, but no luck so far.  Will keep
looking.

  Rick, thanks for your input.

Regards ... Bob