What causes pause when pinging?

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Mon Dec 30 06:49:00 EST 2002

I always tested the existence of a internet connection with this:

on mouseUp
   set the cursor to watch
   put URL "http://www.google.com" into field "test"
   if the result is not empty then
     put the result into field "test" -- error message
   else
     put "connection successful" into field "test"
   end if
end mouseUp

note that you could check non blocking with this, but it does not
always return an error (don't know why, maybe my fault):

on mouseUp
   open socket "www.google.com:80" with message connected
end mouseUp

on connected IP
   close socket IP --don't forget this, I once had a stack with 29
connections open ;)
   put "connection successful" into field "test"
end connected

on socketError IP,error --not extremely reliable, sometimes nothing
happens
   put IP && error into field "test"
end socketError

on socketTimeout IP -- probably lagging connection (wanna retry?)
put  IP && "error: Timeout" into field "test"
end socketTimeout