groups and background

Mark Swindell mdswindell at charter.net
Sat Dec 28 16:03:02 EST 2002

on 12/28/02 12:37 PM, Richard Gaskin at ambassador at fourthworld.com wrote:

>> But that would imply that groups with backgroundBehavior turned off aren't
>> shared between cards, which isn't the case.
>
> Good catch.  You mean you can place a group across mutiple cards without
> having the backgroundBehavior set?  Cool.

I thought backgroundbehavior only referred to a group's being included when
a new card was created.

Mark

http://www.runrev.com/revolution/developers/articles/tipoftheweek/5.html

explains:

There are two special group features: background behavior (that allows you
to make groups act more like backgrounds) and radio behavior.

If you group objects to create a group, then make a new card, that group
will not appear on the new card. If you go to the properties for a group and
check "Background Behavior", that group will then appear on all new cards so
long as it was present on the visible card when you made the new card. This
is how you make a group act like a HyperCard background. You can even group
a single object if you need to make it act this way.

If you have made a group and then want to add it to other cards later, the
easiest way is to use the Application Overview. If you select your stack in
the overview and toggle the wide display, you will see a set of tabs along
the top of the right section. Click on the second tab along - Groups. Now
you should see a list of all groups present in your stack. If you see
components of a particular group instead, click on the sliding button at the
bottom. When you select a group, you can use the Place & Remove buttons to
adjust which cards you want to show this group. You can also use the Object
menu to place & remove groups but this doesn't allow you to place groups on
every card at once and will not list groups contained within other groups.