Merry Christmas!

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Mon Dec 23 13:47:01 EST 2002

Kevin, et al:

May I take this occasion to share with an article from Buddhist News
that I printed and included with my Christmas cards a few years ago:

"			The Practice of Compassion

			His Holiness The Dalai Lama

This is from someone who recently returned from India.  Her group met
with the Dalai Lama for several days.  The meetings focused on
dialoguing what they believed were the five most important questions
to be considered moving into the new millennium.

The group were asked to come up with five questions before meeting
with the Dalai Lama.  They asked:

* How do we address the widening gap between rich and poor?
* How do we protect the earth?
* How do we educate our children?
* How do we help Tibet and other oppressed countries/people?
* How do we bring spirituality -- deep caring for each other --
through all disciplines?

The Dalai Lama said all the questions fell under the last one.  If we
have true compassion, our children will be educated, we will care for
the earth, and for those who "have not."  He asked the group: Do you
think loving on the planet is increasing or staying the same?

His own response was, "My experience leads me to believe that love IS
increasing."

He shared a practice with the group that will increase loving and
compassion in the world, and asked everyone attending to go home and
share it with as many people as possible.

The Practice:

1.  Spend 5 minutes at the beginning of each day remembering we all
want the same thing (to be happy and loved) and we are all connected.

2.  Spend 5 minutes cherishing yourself and others.  Let go of
judgements.  Breath in cherishing yourself, and breathe out
cherishing others.  If the faces of people you are having difficulty
with appear, cherish them as well.

3.  During the day extend that attitude to everyone you meet -- we
are all the same, and I cherish myself and you.

4.  Stay in the practice, no matter what happens."

God bless us, every one.

Rob