Avoiding mouse polls

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Sat Dec 14 15:10:01 EST 2002

On Sunday, Dec 15, 2002, at 06:22 Australia/Sydney, Dar Scott wrote:

> On Saturday, December 14, 2002, at 12:04 PM, Ken Norris (dialup) wrote:
>
>> But, I still don't think a running loop can be stopped with a mouse
>> switch
>> action unless you poll for it from inside the loop.
>
> Everybody's style is different.  To me this is doing it the hard way.
> I recommend this:
>
> Drop the loop.  Use a send cycle to cycle through images (and maybe a
> short period of no-highlight in between).  Use mouseDown to select the
> current one.  Put the mouseDown handler in the card or the stack.
> (The card will be like a big button.)

Indeed. This was my message too, Ken. You do not need to poll for
mouseDown/Up/Release (whichever). They are events, unlike mouseClick
function, and will be caught between the short pieces of code executed
by the send-in-time. You do not even need a repeat loop as such.
Send-in-time can achieve that by sending itself, with local or global
variables or properties holding the object reference for highlighting,
and any other state information.

cheers
David