Avoiding mouse polls

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Dec 14 14:30:01 EST 2002

On Saturday, December 14, 2002, at 12:04 PM, Ken Norris (dialup) wrote:

> But, I still don't think a running loop can be stopped with a mouse
> switch
> action unless you poll for it from inside the loop.

Everybody's style is different.  To me this is doing it the hard way.  I
recommend this:

Drop the loop.  Use a send cycle to cycle through images (and maybe a
short period of no-highlight in between).  Use mouseDown to select the
current one.  Put the mouseDown handler in the card or the stack.  (The
card will be like a big button.)

Is your client area full screen?  Then your mouse location is probably
fine.

Is your window, including decorations, full screen?  Set the mouseLoc to
10,40 or something when your open the stack.

If neither, do some calculation and put the mouseLoc over the card.

Is the pointer visible and distracting?  Hide it.  Two ways:  1 Set it
to your logo and place it where you want your logo.  This might be
better during debugging; you can test with a regular mouse.  2 Set it to
blank.

Dar Scott