inserting accented characters

revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Tue Dec 10 03:42:01 EST 2002

Signe.  Thank you for going to the trouble of doing that.

I think that this indicates that it is some setting in Windows 2000.  Given that one cannot know what the user's settings are (and that as an application developer one probably shouldn't rely on being able to reconfigure these), and given that different OSs use different keyboard-combo shortcuts to display these characters, I think that I am right to go with my character-to-button palette mapping.  I want to have a technique that is easy for the user to use and that is cross-platform and that is independent of any settings on the machine on which my app runs.

It also has the benefit that it can be used for other purposes e.g. for applications where users have key phrases that they need to insert often - these could be placed in the list and then generate a selection palette.

Incidentally, I remember earlier on you seemed to think the palette idea was not the way to go.  Was this because you thought it important to protect the screen real-estate or because you knew I would run into technical difficulties on transferring the text between stacks?  I think I will eventually get round the final technical difficulty I am having.  But if not, I will start to look at ways of putting the list of 'international' character on the card itself.

Regards Bernard

I just downloaded Revolution on my Windows 2000, made a