Imported Images Are Darker

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Mon Dec 9 22:34:01 EST 2002

Recently, Richard Gaskin wrote:

>> As I understand it, standard RGB monitor gamma (as defined by the
>> hardware)
>> gives a non-linear brightness response to voltage. Hence mid grey value
>> 127,127,127 would appear on the monitor noticeably lighter than 'mid
>> grey'.
>
> So for print work it seems Apple's choice is a good one.
>
> For multimedia work, though, the difference leaves us having to choose
> between making things pretty for the Mac audience or the Windows audience,
> but I don't know of a way to get optimal results for both. :(

It's even more complicated than this.  Many Windows users have never
adjusted their monitors and have horrendously low brightness settings, not
to mention the fact that yet more users do not even know that they can set
their monitors to display higher than 8 bit color (256 colors).  There are
so many variables to this equation that it's not worth pulling your hair
out: optimize for the majority of your audience (which will probably be
mostly Windows) and leave it at that.

Also, remember that it's unlikely that users of one platform will be able to
compare one gamma display against the other -- without any point of
reference, they won't know that any difference exists.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director

Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design