Newbie Mac sound questions

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 9 14:30:01 EST 2002

I'm converting some SuperCard projects which have sounds (and maybe
other stuff) in the Resource Fork. I don't have a copy of ResEdit any
more (does it run on MacOS 9.2.2 - doesn't seem to be in the Apple
archive). Can anyone suggest a way  to extract these resources? I
tried a shareware app called 'SndSampler' but it claims there aren't
any 'snd' resources in my SC file (there are).

Ålso, AFAICS the Revo documentation doesn't seem to say much about
what sound files one can play - I have already gathered that
Mac-native sounds are a no-no. Apart from aif (is '.aif' the correct
extension for Windows systems?), what other formats are allowed
(clearly one can play a QuickTime soundtrack, for example)? What is
the most efficient way of playing a short sound with no delay, to
give the effect of a system beep, or a rollover sound like you'd have
in a Flash movie?

TIA

Graham