Mac RunRev can't open Win .rev file...

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Dec 7 21:11:01 EST 2002

Peter Lundh <simran at teleline.es> wrote:

> Can anyone please tell me how to fix the file so that
 > it can be opened with Revolution on Mac.

Macs use something called "type" and "creator" codes, attributes Windows
doesn't use, to recognize which files belong to an application.
Revolution normally filters out files which are not of type "RSTK" and
"MSTK" which means that non-stack files are dimmed in the open file
dialog. But because stacks transferred from a Windows machine also lack
these file attributes, Rev does not recognize them. You can use a
utility tool such as ResEdit (and there are other ways too) to assign
the type and creator codes so that the files will be selectable in Rev's
open file dialog. However, since Rev will automatically save the file
with the correct attributes if you can just get it open once, the
easiest way is to open the file from the message box the first time,
which bypasses Rev's filtering scheme. After the stack is open, save it
normally and Rev will assign the correct creator and type codes for you.
After that, Rev will recognize it as a stack.

To open any file from the message box type this:

  answer file "Choose a stack:";go stack it

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com