It's a list! It's an array! No, it's...

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu Dec 5 17:38:11 EST 2002

On Thursday, December 5, 2002, at 03:01 PM, David Vaughan wrote:

>> I am packing values into a single value in a way that is not a list
>> and is not an array.
> snip
>
> I think SmallTalk used "bag" for an unordered set, and that
> "collection" is reasonably common now. I go with the idea that "list"
> implies some sequence, even if properly speaking it is unordered. I
> [suggest / vote / prefer] bag or collection in your example.

I meant it wasn't a list in the sense of a bunch of strings separated by
lineFeeds (or commas).  It does have order.  Otherwise I'd jump right on
bag.

Troy's idea of "darGob" might lend some infamy, but...

I put a wrapper around data to put them in into this
sequence/group/list/bag and a wrapped value is an important concept.  (A
wrapped value is a list of length one.)  I might call it, going down in
word length...

wrappedValue
package
pearl
bead
gem
mm (as in M&M candy)
other?

The sequence might then be called a necklace, string of pearls, bead
string, or something like that.

An N-tuple might allow an nt prefix for functions and handlers.  The
wrapped value is a one-tuple, and the sequence is an n-tuple or
something like that.

I'm still pondering this.

Dar