RunRev on Xserve

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at mac.com
Wed Dec 4 21:20:01 EST 2002

It sounds like a clear answer is eluding people. OS X Server 10.2
(Jaguar) on Xservers no longer need a video card to be configured or
run. Apple can now make the video card optional. Everything can be
configured via the console port or SSH. Any application that can run
without an interface, such as running without logging in, like the OS X
Server apps don't require a video card.

Typical Revolution applications work within a window drawn on the
screen. These kinds of traditional applications will need to run with
the computer logged in. This login requires a video card even if there
is no monitor connected. This is true for any OS X computer.

I believe it is possible to write a Revolution application which does
not require the GUI but I don't know how to write it. Check out the CGI
type applications for unix in the Revolution documentation. There would
be a non-GUI deamon running on the server and a separate GUI
application which could run either on the server or on a different
computer.

In summary: If your application has a GUI, your Xserve will need a
video card to run. A monitor is optional.

Hope this helps.
Bill Vlahos