Revolution in Classis, Virtual PC?

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Tue Dec 3 13:06:01 EST 2002

> From: Mark Swindell <mswindel at santacruz.k12.ca.us>

> I've read where after the first of the year new Macs won't be able to boot
> into OS 9.  I'm curious how it behaves under Classic, and, for that matter,
> Virtual PC.  Is anyone building for all three systems on a single Mac?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
----------
Hi Mark,

I probably missed something because SPEWS backlisted this list (no one knows
why) from my ISP for awhile. Police with too much discretionary power, IMHO.

Having vented that (thanks), what do you mean by "...after the first of the
year new Macs won't be able to boot into OS 9."

I don't think that's true quite yet. What's happening, AFAIK, is that OS
9.2.2 will not be shipped with OSX Jaguar, meaning if you buy a new Mac you
won't be able to boot into OS 9.2.2 because it won't be there. That is,
you'll have to get a copy of OS 9.2.2 and put it on the drive yourself in
order to use OSX Jaguar in Classic, or else partition the HD.

But they won't say much about it because they're trying to wean us off
anything less than OSX, which is nothing but a clone of Steve's NexT OS, his
pet project for 10 years. Prepare to put your propeller beanie cap back on
if you want to use OS 9.

At least that's how it was explained to me several times.

Best regards,
Ken N.