Playback of mpg movies...

Dreamscape Software webmaster at dreamscapesoftware.com
Tue Apr 30 13:16:01 EDT 2002

> I've been trying to get the player to handle basic .mpg movies. I can get
> them started, but they won't stop! The whole program locks up once it
> starts. It seems like there aren't enough 'cycles' for RunRev to process
> clicks.
>
> Any ideas? (on a WinXP PC)
>
> BTW - I assume RR (and MC) use Quicktime only to play .avi's. Correct?

I wrote a program to play MPEG movies on the Mac in MetaCard using
QuickTime.  What I've noticed is that the movie will play better if you
don't use the controller.  Also, make sure you try to stop the movie before
you switch to another tool (like the button tool, etc.).  When I was testing
the software, it played great, but when I was developing everything, it was
pretty bad.  I guess the best way to go is to use small MPEG movies while
developing, and use the large ones for testing.

I don't know if this will help, but that's what worked for me.  Oh, AVI
support in QuickTime is pretty flaky.  Some work, and some don't.  To get
DIVX AVI's to work I had to download 2 things.  1 component for QuickTime to
allow it to play.  And a utility to convert the DIVX MP3 track to something
that Quicktime can handle.

Derek Bump
Dreamscape Software, Inc.
http://www.dreamscapesoftware.com/