Interesting piece of a puzzle found... Not sure how to finish piecing it together though...

Greg Saylor gsaylor at net-virtual.com
Mon Apr 29 03:49:01 EDT 2002

Hello,

I recently discovered some interesting things about the OS-X/Darwin
versions of Revolution....  Here are my findings:

I am making the assumption that the "Revolution" executable in the case
of OS-X is the equivalent of what is in the "components/engines" folders
for other platforms here.. If that assumption is incorrect then
everything changes....  This is a re-iteration of some previous posts I
have made, but I solved on of the bigger problems so I thought I'd
present it again.. Sorry if it is overly redundant...

Problem:  The "Darwin" engine does not support VXCMD's or the revDB api
with the Valentina "mode".
Solution: Use the "OS-X" engine (what other choice is there? ;-) )
-----
Problem:  The "Revolution" executable cannot be started from the command
line, it yields a bunch of gibberish....
Solution: Use the "open" command, this creates a problem because the
application is launched in the background.
-----
Problem:  How to launch a CFM binary without it launching into the background.
Solution: Create a shell script, I called mine "/usr/local/bin/Launch".
In this shell script put the following:

#!/bin/sh
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Support/LaunchCFMApp $@

After creating the file do a "chmod 755" on it (chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/
Launch)

To start Revolution this way, use "Launch /usr/local/Revolution/
Revolution" (or wherever it is stored).
-----
Problem:  Revolution engine keeps launching in GUI mode.
Solution: [ No solution yet -- do you have one? ]
-----
Problem:  Revolution engine will not execute a script like the following:

#!/usr/local/bin/Launch /usr/local/Revolution/Revolution

on startup
    write "hello world" & linefeed to stdout
end startup

In other words....  The OS-X engine doesn't seem to know (or care) about
stdout or have a way of executing scripts from the command line.....

Solution:  The only one I can think of is to write an invisible stack
application which will take an argument of a file and "do" the lines of
that file.  Are there any better ones?...
-----
Problem:  Can't find a way to feed a command-line argument to the OS-X
Revolution engine.
Solution: [ No solution yet, any ideas? ]
-----
Problem:  When "do"ing a script containing a bunch of transcript
commands, will I be restricted by the license in a built executable?
Solution: [ No analysis yet, should be easy to figure out though -- but
does anyone know off the top of your head? ]
-----

The interesting thing is that it *almost* looks like I can piece
something together here, if I can only figure out a solution to the last
few problems.....  It's a different angle then I was looking at it from
before (the Darwin side), but this seems possibly more practical....

Any additional thoughts?...

Thanks, as always, for the great response on this list...

- Greg