Backdrops...

John jburtt at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 28 22:39:01 EDT 2002

Testing a newly built standalone, I discovered that I've over-looked
a problem with backdrops. In Windows, the backdrop covers all,
including the task bar. If the stack is closed using the stack
window's close button, the stack closes but the backdrop remains,
leaving the user with a blank screen. This is also the case if the
stack is minimized. On a Mac, it is the same, but at least the
menubar is still visible. Obviously, I need to check out the iconify
messages (or suspendStack?) and set the backdrop to none when this
occurs. Is there a message sent that will cover all instances of a
stack closing? I can't use the closeStack message because I have
several stacks opening and closing in the same window. I am not very
familiar with the Windows operating system and am wondering if their
are other ways a user can close the stack that I should be aware of.

I'm also interested in what startUp and shutDown handlers others have
found to be somewhat standard in most all the stacks they build.
StartUp handlers I include in most instances are stack properties
such as effectRate, decorations, visibility, location, ect. Common
closeStack handlers I usually include are saving, (and now setting
the backdrop to none), ect. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for listening,  John