Database functionality and tab stops in fields

Klaus Major kmajor at metascape.org
Fri Apr 26 02:42:00 EDT 2002

Hi Barry,

> G'day, listas!
>
> Two sets of questions:
>
> #1 - I've been trying to understand the scope of the "database"
> functionality available to me from within Revolution. If I grasp what
> the techno-babble is telling me, it seems I need some kind of database
> "engine" running in the background (Valentina?).

it depends on the amount of data you will have to handle.

If the number of records is about up to 5000, then you could even use
the "card"-metaphore
in RR as a database -> 1 card = 1 record.

Could even work with 10000 records, you should do some testing here

Otherwise you will need some sort of "database-engine" in the background.

We are using VALENTINA for some time now and i can say: Valentina
rocks !!!!

It is FAST (did i emphasize FAST ?), fast, fast, reliable and fast.

And of course fast ;-). Yes fast...

And support is (almost) unbeatable...

(Thank you Ruslan :-)
(Spassiba :-)

> Is there some kind of "non-server-type" DB access available otherwise?
> Perhaps some kind of XCMD that would permit Revolution to "do the work"
> looking up the info in a local file? I'm thinking of something on the
> order of FileMaker as opposed to FileMaker Server. If that's not a good
> analogy, how about 4th Dimension as opposed to 4D Server?

Valentina is (to use your example) FileMaker. There is no a
server-version of Valentina (yet, but they are already working on
that ;-).

> #2 - (and this may be a feature request) - Sarah Reichelt was kind
> enough to detail a method of creating reports using the tab stops
> feature. It would be great if there was a way to specify -each- tab
> stop (like "30,100,150,100,150" meaning "30 pixels -or characters- from
> the left, then 100 more to the next tab stop, then 150 more to the
> next..., etc.). Perhaps this is what is meant by the "Table Object"
> I've seen mentioned on the runrev website?

Take a look at the "tabstops"-property. That will fulfill your needs ;-)

> I'll fill out the feature request at the website to add my $.02.

No feature request necessary in this case ;-)

> Thanks,
> Barry

Hope that helps.

Regards