CGI, MacOS-X, etc

Greg Saylor gsaylor at net-virtual.com
Wed Apr 24 22:47:01 EDT 2002

>Message: 8
>From: diskot123 at juno.com
>To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:17:54 -0400
>Subject: Re: CGI, MacOS-X, etc
>
>You are using the wrong version of Revolution. Download Revolution 1.1.1
>which supports MySQL, and Valentina for OSX.

Okay, I'm doing that as I write this...  Thanks!...

>>VXCMD consists from 2 parts:
>>1) XFCN resource "Valentina" (PPC version) -- this is just small
>>function, which calls Valentina kernel.
>>2) "Valentina engine" -- shared library which contain Valentina kernel.
>You have two options for using Valentina in Revolution.
>Use VXCMD which is from paradigmasoft and is a HyperCard style external
>for classic, and I believe a Revolution style external for OSX (Carbon).
>Or use RevDB in 1.1.1 which now supports Valentina. RevDB is part of
>Revolution and has added support for Valentina in 1.1.1 and has the
>advantage that it supporting binary data, binding, and you can use the
>same syntax for all databases.

I don't really care which way I do it....  It sounds like the RevDB way
may be a bit easier....  But, I do not see a way to create a database
with it... It seems once the database is created you can connect to it
and build/update tables using SQL commands..   Is that correct or am I
missing something?...

Does revdb pass the underlying SQL directly to do the database?... For
example, the Valentina engine does not support "select distinct"
statements, but MySQL and Oracle do.... Or does it have it's own SQL
parser?...

>>Problem #3: Okay, so now on top of all of this I want to use metacard as
>>a general-purpose scripting tool so I can build my Valentina database
>>from a command-line utility as part of an automated production process
>>(which is mostly implemented in PERL and C..)...
>Right.

WHat I don't understand is why there is an "engine" for Darwin, but not
one for OS-X.....  Am I doing this just completely wrong or what?....   I
have tried to create a scripts:

#!/usr/Revolution/components/engines/Darwin

on startup
    write "hey" to stdout
end startup

ANd that works fine... But, I cannot find an engine for Revolution.....
The "Darwin" engine I got from the metacard.com site, there does not seem
to be one from the Revolution web site... Am I missing something here
too?...  Is Darwin not a supported environment from Revolution but is
supported on MEtacard?....

>>B. Can the OS-X (not darwin) engine be used for a general-purpose
>>scripting tool without launching the application?....
>You could also build a windowless stack (with an invisible stack which
>does xyz on openstack or startup and then closes). However I take it that
>you are trying to build some sort CGI  or something like a unix shell
>script that can be executed and write to STDOUT.

You are correct.. I want to generate a shell script which is executed as
part of the production process... I guess this can be a Revolution
windowless stack as you point out and that windowless stack just does a
"do" on the commands included in a text file and then exits... I think I
can work around this, somehow....  But, it's still rather confusing I
have to say... ;-(

>I would suggest  that you download the latest version of Revolution for
>MacOS, and Windows (and if you have OSX, OSX). Hopefully by reading the
>docs and using Valentina there things will start to fit together (at
>least for other other platforms). I'll get back to you on the Darwin
>questions, and possibly send you a sample script or stack working with
>Valentina offlist.

I definately look forward to your Darwin responses... It seems like there
are basicaly two environments here which are rather incompatible with
each other somehow...  For example, I can execute Darwin apps from the
command line, but not from OS-X... (I tried creating a shell script, and
when I double clicked it, it didn't work)....  And OS-X apps cannot
really be executed very easily from the command line, well you can use
that "open" command, but that is sort of odd because it always launches
it in the background.... So it's a bit problematic to tell when the
application has finished running, which would definately be a problem here...

>Tuviah Snyder ~tuviah at runrev.com
>http://www.runrev.com/
>Rutime Revolution Limited - Power to the Developer!

Thank you very much for your response.....  It was very helpful!...

- Greg