CGI, MacOS-X, etc

diskot123 at juno.com diskot123 at juno.com
Wed Apr 24 10:23:00 EDT 2002

>I have no clue, by the way, what you mean by "CFM manager", "mach-o
>code", or "bundle".....  I'm most familiar with UNIX (Solaris in
>particular) which doesn't have this stuff.. My final application I want
>to be deployed on MacOS, OS-X, and Windows -- but it's important that I
>build it from UNIX....   Since OS-X is at least partially UNIX I am
>looking for a way to build the underlying database using it...  Were it
>not for these end-user platform requirements I would just use something
>else, but MySQL and Oracle are hardly databases which should be deployed
>in a desktop environment....
Ah I took it my your questions, that you were interested in writing an
external.

>Problem #1: Basically I have a folder, after having installed the OS-X
>version of Runtime Revolution which I bought last week (it was the
>business edition or whatever I guess)....  I double-click the
>"Revolution" icon and then go to "Tools" and then select "Database
>Manager"...  I get a pop-up message which says "Database access is not
>yet supported on OS X due to driver issues."....
You are using the wrong version of Revolution. Download Revolution 1.1.1
which supports MySQL, and Valentina for OSX.

>VXCMD consists from 2 parts:
>1) XFCN resource "Valentina" (PPC version) -- this is just small
>function, which calls Valentina kernel.
>2) "Valentina engine" -- shared library which contain Valentina kernel.
You have two options for using Valentina in Revolution.
Use VXCMD which is from paradigmasoft and is a HyperCard style external
for classic, and I believe a Revolution style external for OSX (Carbon).
Or use RevDB in 1.1.1 which now supports Valentina. RevDB is part of
Revolution and has added support for Valentina in 1.1.1 and has the
advantage that it supporting binary data, binding, and you can use the
same syntax for all databases.

Valentina engine is distributed with Revolution 1.1.1 for Mac, OSX and
Windows, and it should be ready to go right out of the box (so to speak),
 and the database manager tools now support Valentina, you can also find
database examples which work with Valentina at
http://www.runrev.com/revolution/developers/developerdownloads/usercontri
butions.html

You still need to license the Valentina engine from paradigmasoft either
way...but can use your VXCMD license for to license the Valentina engine
for RevDB.

To create and manage your Valentina database you can download VAPP,
http://www.paradigmasoft.com/product/vapp.html

If you would rather use VXCMD than RevDB for OSX, you can download it
from http://www.paradigmasoft.com/files/vxcmd.html..and look for the
carbon (OSX) version. Note that this is not supported by the distribution
builder,  database tools, database examples in Revolution as it requires
it's own special syntax, which is the reason RevDB added support for
Valentina (so you don't have to rewrite your scripts to speak to
different databases).

>revdb_connect(databaseType,host,databaseName,userName,password)
>use the revdb_connect function to connect to a database.
Check out the latest docs.

>Problem #3: Okay, so now on top of all of this I want to use metacard as
>a general-purpose scripting tool so I can build my Valentina database
>from a command-line utility as part of an automated production process
>(which is mostly implemented in PERL and C..)...
Right.

>B. Can the OS-X (not darwin) engine be used for a general-purpose
>scripting tool without launching the application?....
You could also build a windowless stack (with an invisible stack which
does xyz on openstack or startup and then closes). However I take it that
you are trying to build some sort CGI  or something like a unix shell
script that can be executed and write to STDOUT.

I would suggest  that you download the latest version of Revolution for
MacOS, and Windows (and if you have OSX, OSX). Hopefully by reading the
docs and using Valentina there things will start to fit together (at
least for other other platforms). I'll get back to you on the Darwin
questions, and possibly send you a sample script or stack working with
Valentina offlist.

Tuviah Snyder ~tuviah at runrev.com
http://www.runrev.com/
Rutime Revolution Limited - Power to the Developer!