Metacard vs. Revolution

JohnRule at aol.com JohnRule at aol.com
Tue Apr 23 08:06:01 EDT 2002

> We actually allow you to use the scripts and code in Revolution in your own

> projects - as there is a lot of good code in there you might want to use or

> learn from.

This is news to me...where is the documentation for this? What are the rules?
Isn't this called 'reverse engineering'?

> But allowing you to use them is not the same as allowing you to directly
> compete with us by simply copy, paste, and presto start distributing
> "Evolution, by Runtime Revelation".

That's a good name!   ;-)

All kidding aside, this was such a gray area to me that I cross-graded to
Metacard. I just wish you had some ground rules...I have no I idea when I am
'biting' the hand. For instance, you say that by cutting and pasting 'your
stuff' into my own application ("Evolution, by Runtime Revelation") would
violate the license agreement. What if I created everything from scratch?
What if I only created an environment that has all of the editing features
native to the Metacard engine available to the user, but nothing like your
animation manager, or the geometry manager? But what if I wanted to add
something like that later?

You see, there are too many questions, and no rules. I know this is not the
place to talk about this, so I will end it by saying I imagine that my
'paranoia' may subside someday, and I will have to pay the price to come
back...your environment definitely deserves the accolades it has been
getting.

JR