small business license

Kevin Miller kevin at runrev.com
Mon Apr 22 08:52:07 EDT 2002

On 9/4/02 9:21 pm, Steve L <prodevm at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was actually thinking about getting a small business
> license for Rev, however, upon reading the pricing I
> am confused:
>
> The way I am understanding it is that you pay $299.99
> for the small business license and a year of
> updates/upgrades, then if you waht updates/upgrades
> beyond the first year, you must pay another $299.99
> per year.
>
> Is this right?  In order to have an updated program it
> is going to cost $299.99 per year?
>
> If so, wow; I never heard of updates/upgrades costing
> as much as the product itself.
>
> I'm I reading this right?

At present we are charging $299 for a one year updates pack for the SBE.  We
did consider charging $400 or $500 for the first years worth of license and
upgrades, but wanted to keep the cost of entry low for this type of
customer.

If you have to, then after the first year, you could wait for a period
before you purchase an updates pack.  So for example if you can wait six
months before purchasing updates and then purchase a year pack, then wait
another six months, the cost works out at $150 a year, and you still have
most of the updates.  But if you do need to be bang up to date all the time,
then it does cost more.

We don't sell the updates individually because then we would have to
differentiate between bug fixes and non bug fixes, price each one
individually, and process lots of small transactions.  This would have a
negative effect on the speed of producing updates for all our users.  So
you're either in for a year's worth of upgrades, or out.  But you can pick
which year periods you are in and which you are out to bring the cost down
if you need to.  You still have a working copy of Revolution and can keep it
roughly up to date.

In the future we may considering bringing the cost down some and introducing
a "restart charge" or something similar instead.  It depends on the feedback
we get and various other factors.  But that is the situation at present.  I
do hope you will consider a Small Business Edition as we think they are very
good value.  If you have any further questions, for a fast reply please
contact me off list.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller <kevin at runrev.com> <http://www.runrev.com/>
Tel: +44 (0) 870 747 1165.  Fax: +44 (0)1639 830 707.