Message Path (was Re: FunctionKeys)

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 17 00:19:01 EDT 2002

--- Dar Scott <dsc at swcp.com> wrote:

> Consider this structure:
>
> card
>      button 1
>      group A
>          group AA
>              button 1AA
>          button 1A
>      background B  (group with background behavior
> checked)
>          button 1B
>
> A little mouseUp handler on each object that logs
> and passes shows this:
>
> card -- background B -- stack
> button 1 -- card -- background B -- stack
> button 1AA -- group AA -- group A -- card -- stack
> button 1A -- group A -- card -- stack
> button 1B -- background B -- card -- stack
>
> (No handlers change scripts to add or delete
> handlers.)
>
> Both the card and button 1 see the background.
> Button 1B sees the
> background in a different order.
>
> But, I expected this:
>
> button 1AA -- group AA -- group A -- card --
> background B -- stack
> button 1A -- group A -- card -- background B --
> stack

That's why I said it simulates a _large_ portion of
background behaviour, and not everything *grin*
If you really need it to pass by the background B,
you'll have to hardwire a 'send' in the card script,
I'm afraid.

To long-time HyperCard users (I fell in love with HC
1.0 in a heartbeat) it's quite unnerving, but once you
know how things are, you can usually circumvent the
slight shifts in behaviour.
Moreover, I've come to use different substacks where I
would have used a background -- and as they can be
part of the stack or not, depending on decisions later
on in the project, that's quite convenient.

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel.