Reports - one more time

Brad Allen BradAllen at mac.com
Fri Apr 12 09:24:01 EDT 2002

Nine to Five Software made a fantastic report generating tool for
HyperCard, called Reports Datapro. I don't know if they're still in
business, but a tool similar to that would be great for Revolution.

Reports had a section-oriented layout tool, with sections for break
summaries, sub-summaries, grand summaries, headers, footers, and a
main body. It had a sort and select tool which acted on a HyperCard
stack in a way similar to flat file databases. The report generation
could be controlled by scripts, and as the report generated, messages
flowed up the message hierarchy to provide strong scripted control of
report generation. It was a nice tool.

Unfortunately, report generation was a tiny sub-nice market in the
already small market of HyperCard developers. I doubt Nine to Five
software made much money on their product. If anyone wanted to create
a similar product for Revolution, they'd face a similar financial
obstacle.

However, since Rev can communicate with external databases, the
reporting tools for those databases are available to Rev.