Puzzling with ads on magazine pages (Off Topic ?)

Subscriber subscriber at btopenworld.com
Fri Apr 12 05:36:01 EDT 2002

Ahhhhhh a classic Operational Research 'Packing' Problem. Comes in many
shapes and forms. These problems 'seem' to be quite simple, until you start
looking at the options. Take a look at

http://arp.anu.edu.au/www/software/piclay/html/piclaydemo.html

Which states "Arranging pictures or photographs on a wall or a sheet of
paper can be viewed as a layout problem that consists in placing a set of
rectangles on a large rectangle so that there are no overlaps, and all edges
are parallel to either the vertical or horizontal edge of the large
rectangle..." (includes JAVA source code if required).

This should give you ideas about how to approach the problem. Otherwise
search on 'Operational Research Packing' on the web. You'll find there's no
right answer and that everyone else tells you their solution is
better/faster/more efficient.

Have Fun !

Gary Rathbone