Julian Dates?

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Thu Apr 11 11:24:32 EDT 2002

>Seconds are extremely limited. Their limits
>are directly related to the limits of the computer. At the moment this
>means that time starts in the 1970's. So, for example, if you want to do
>common calculations such as generating the age of a person from their
>birthday you are screwed.

Hi Jonathan,

This being the case, I'm trying to figure out why my biorhythm
charting stack hasn't choked yet.  Perhaps because it's written in
HyperTalk (where the base year is 1904) and no one has wanted to
chart anyone over 98 years old.

I guess "extremely limited" is in the eye of the beholder.  I have
used these date constructs for years, and find little need to
manipulate dates more than 25 years past, except for dates of birth.
I'm working with current dates, invoice dates, order dates, due
dates, payroll run dates, paycheck dates, delivery dates, payment
dates, batch entry dates, etc.  Dates of birth and historical dates
are about all I've ever found that could cause problems, and the
later are not usually subject to manipulation.

Still, thanks for reminding me that Transcript's earliest supported
date is about 70 years more recent than HyperCard's.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company